Thursday, March 7, 2019
3:00-6:00 PM, CVCC Commons
What is a Job Fair?
Cuyahoga Valley Career Center's Job Fair, you will find representatives from businesses that have openings for full-time, part-time, and seasonal positions. Each business will have a table and you will be able to talk to representatives from companies you are interested in. Most companies will bring applications for you to complete.
Employers will ask about skills, interests, and availability. Job Seekers should ask employers about their company, the types of positions available, and (if applicable), what steps should be taken to apply for the job. Some might even hire you on the spot!
What to bring to a Job Fair:
- Copies of your resume and reference sheet (at least 20 copies).
- Previous employment history (including names, addresses, phone numbers, and supervisors’ names).
- Pen for completing applications.
- Paper for taking notes.
What to wear to a Job Fair:
Dress as if you’re going on a job interview:
What to do before the Job Fair:
- Download the General Job Application. Complete and bring it with you to the Job Fair.
- Create a resume and list of references. Have others proofread them to make sure there are no errors.
- Find out which companies will be at the Job Fair. If you don’t have time before the day of the job fair, take time before you walk in to review the information.
- Decide which companies you are interested in. Plan to speak with 3-5 employers.
- Research the companies you plan to speak with by going to their websites.
- Decide what you will wear that is neat and professional - you only have one chance to make a first impression.
- Think about your introduction to employers (30 second commercial):
Information to include in your introduction to employers:
Opportunities you are seeking
Relevant experience (school, volunteer, work).
What to do at a Job Fair:
What to do after a Job Fair:
- Take notes on each of the employers you spoke with and contacts you made.
Review the company literature and information you gathered while at the Job Fair.
Follow-up with a phone call or email to each of the employers you spoke with and request an interview. Don’t assume employers will contact you. If an email address is not available, follow-up with a letter.
What NOT to do at a Job Fair:
Don’t dress inappropriately or in casual clothes.
- Don’t walk around the tables with a group of friends. Interact with employers on your own.
- Don’t arrive at the Job Fair without your resume, references and employment information.
- Don’t walk up to a table and wait for the employer to talk. Be prepared with your introduction.
- Don’t tell the employer you will take any job or ask what jobs they have. Know something about the employer and opportunities available before you approach the table.